Learn to Understand Who Your Dog IsThis isn’t your average dog training guide. We give you insight into how dogs think and learn. There are also step-by-step instructions for teaching them manners using positive reinforcement methods.
Resources by Topic
Click a title to view resources for that topic.
Responsible Pet Ownership
Walking on a Leash
- Destructive Chewing by Dog Star Daily
- Four on the Floor for Jumping by Dog Star Daily
- Off and Nothing in Life is Free by AFF
- Destruction of Household Items by Center For Shelter Dogs
- Possessive Behavior by Center For Shelter Dogs
- Jumpy/Mouthy by Center For Shelter Dogs
- Territorial Behavior by Center For Shelter Dogs
Fear and Anxiety
Socializing Your Dog
- Dog/Dog Tolerance by Bad Rap
- Quick and Easy Crate Training by Teoti Anderson
- Before and After You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar
- How to Teach an Old Dog New Tricks by Ian Dunbar
- How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin
- The Whole Dog Journal Handbook of Dog and Puppy Care and Training edited by Nancy Kerns
- Love Has No Age Limit and other books by Patricia McConnell
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
- Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Ruff Love by Susan Garrett
- A New Dog in the House: From Shelter Dog to Beloved Family Member by BAD RAP
How to Set a Dog Up for Success:
In order to control what your dog is rewarded for, instead of letting your dog reward himself for unwanted behaviors, you’ll need to manage positive reinforcements by setting your dog up for success. You can do this by putting away items you don’t want your dog to have (such as food, shoes, or children’s toys) or restricting your dog’s access to these items by using gates or crates.
How Mistakes Happen:
- You left a piece of steak on the counter.
- Your dog jumped up, grabbed the steak off the counter, and ate it.
- Oops – your dog reinforced himself by getting a reward for counter surfing!
- Your dog is going to be more likely to jump on the counter the next time food is left out.
Help Bring Dogs and People Together
Give to Our Mission
Host An Event
Post on Social Media
Become a Corporate Partner and Sponsor a Program or Event