Learn How Language Affects How People Perceive All DogsWhether it’s how you identify them or the words you use to describe the dogs in your care, everything we say as animal welfare workers impacts their lives. This book is also great for people who want to learn more about the language of effective advocacy.
Don’t Make the Mistake of Advocating for Stereotypes
Quotes from Animal Welfare Workers and Dog Advocates
- “They are different from all other dogs.”
- “They have superior physical and mental characteristics.”
- “They require a special degree of treatment.”
- “Some people will not be able to supply control.”
Quotes from Discriminatory Ordinances, Court Cases, & BSL Supporters
- They “represent a unique hazard and are different in degree and kind.”
- “Even their most ardent admirers agree that these dogs are not for everyone and require special attention and discipline.”
As we travel around the country, having conversations with shelters and rescues about the “pit bull” dogs in their care, we find that there are always a few big a-ha! moments that help people understand that all dogs are individuals just a bit better. One of the...